Category
|
Example(s)
|
Link(s)
|
Reflection
|
social
networking/media
|
Facebook
Twitter
|
|
I
would consider using Facebook.com in an online course as a way to create communication bewteen students outside of the course. As so many of my students are already on fb, this could be a nice "fun" tool to create communication between students. Another aspect that I like is the ability to post images. For our f2f ESL programs, Facebook has been a great tool and students love to "tag" themselves and share with family. Of course, we have to be careful that students sign consent forms and that we are not violating any copyright. I suppose a similar function could be served in an online community as a way to create community. I would not use if for assignment posting however, just for extra credit perhaps.
I
would only consider using twitter in my f2f classes in a private group where
students “tweet” in answers. I wouldn’t use it for online
|
a
tool for asynchronous communication
|
Blackboard & Moodle
Google Drive Documents
|
|
I
use blackboard and Moodle for my f2f course and if I teach online here, I
will use Moodle. There are many features such as forums, or messaging that I
would use within these cites to communicate with students. It is nice because
everything is all in one spot.
I
have never taught online, but I have used Google Drive for collaborate work
for an ION course and it worked similar to a WIKI. It is nice to use Google
because students can also chat within the document and do other functions. I
think it is easier to use the wiki
chat within Moodle. That said, it is much easier to track students in the
Wiki within Moodle so I would have to consider this factor before deciding to
use it in an online course
|
a
tool for synchronous communication
|
Google Hangouts
|
I
loved Google Hangouts. I have used Skype to communicate with students for
conferences in the past. We also use Skype for some faculty meetings. I
actually convinced my boss and others to switch to Google Hangouts after this
course. The screen sharing feature and
the fact that you don’t have to pay for multiple persons make it a strong
tool for synchronous communication. Because my program requires video
interaction for the online course, this is definitely something I would use.
|
|
an
example of ready-made content
|
Video on citing from our
library
|
|
This
video was a nice basic tool that I linked for our writing course lecture on
plagiarism. It is okay to use for copyright as well.
|
some content you've
produced on your own
|
Video on Pronunciation
Rules
|
|
I’ve
produced a lot of worksheets and other things, but this is my first video
(made for this class). I would use this video if I was teaching a basic
grammar course that called for this skill. I would link the video into the Moodle
cite and have a quiz or homework based on the lecture
|
an
assessment or survey tool
|
SURVEY
QUIZ
|
|
This
is a survey I create in Google Drive and use in my f2f class. I would use
Moodle’s built in system for an online class I think. I guess I could also
link this easier within Moodle. I am not sure which I would choose.
I
don’t know if Moodle or Blackboard allow the feature to provide students with
feedback after they get questions right or wrong. If they do not, I would
consider using Quia.com as it has this important feature. I also like that
Quia.com has a variety of types of questions you can ask. My favorite,
however, is quizlet.com. I would try to convince my boss to pay for this upgraded
version of this software as it is very useful for language teachers.
|
an
elective .... something new you'd like to try
|
Podbean.com
|
I
tried to use this to create content for this course, but I couldn’t get the
sound file to upload. I want to “play” with this more so I can create
podcasts using a combination of Audacity and this website. I just don’t know
how to do it just yet.
|
|
DIIGO
ACCOUNT
|
|
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Final Scrapbook Posting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment